Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What I Learned about Living while working with the Dead - Introduction


My journey started on December 1, 1990. If you had told me as a child that one day I’d be in the funeral business, I would have thought you were crazy. In fact, I had not attended my first funeral until I was 16 years old and it wasn’t something that I handled too well. However, my life had taken me a direction I did not anticipate and at 33 years of age, I found myself looking for a new career.
All I knew was that people die, get buried and that somebody has to do it. My best friend and his father owned a funeral home and my inroad was to write pre-need business and work funerals. As time passed I realized I liked this business. Now before you think I’m bizarre, let me explain. I learned that a funeral is for the living.
I went on to become a college student for the very first time and spent two years obtaining a degree in funeral service. Twenty-two years later here I am, and I’ve changed careers again. Today I am the Spiritual Development Pastor for a church in Tulsa, Oklahoma. And how did the funeral business prepare me for my position now? All along I’ve worked with people at the lowest point of their life. I’ve experienced the joy of no more pain, the bewilderment of the frailty of life and the bitter shock of tragedy. I’ve buried stillborn babies and 103-year-old grandmas. I’ve seen far more than I ever cared to see, but all of that has all prepared me for what I am doing.
During my ordination interview, a pastor I’ve known for many years said, “Mike, you’ve buried the dead all these years, now you’re going to resurrect the dead.” That statement sums up everything I am about today. My prayer is that you gain understanding of who I am, how big God is and that there is hope for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment